Dental Crown procedures
What does the process of getting a dental crown involve?
Making and fitting a crown is a multi-step process and it requires at least two appointments to our clinic in Vietnam:
1. First appointment - examination & preparation for the crown
- The first step your dentist will do before commencing any dental work is to have a comprehensive dental checkup. This is necessary not just to confirm that you are a good candidate for the crown, but also to find out and address any other potential issues before getting a crown done. Some X-rays might be taken to assess the roots of the tooth receiving the crown. Root canal treatment might be performed if the tooth is decayed.
- Depending on the remaining tooth structure, your dentist may need to build up the foundation for the crown. This is required specially if your tooth is so broken or decayed that it will not support the crown. Post and core buildup is the most common way.
- Once the foundation is successfully built, your dentist will file the tooth down to create necessary space for it. After that, he/she will take some impressions of the tooth and of opposite tooth to fabricate the porcelain crown.
- Finally, your dentist will get a temporary crown placed to protect your tooth while waiting for the permanent crown to be made at our dental lab.
2. Second appointment - placement of the permanent crown
- The previous impressions will be sent to our dental lab to fabricate the permanent crowns. This process takes about 3 - 4 days depending on number of crowns need to be made for the same preparation.
- Once the crown is ready, your dentist will gently remove the temporary crown, then try it on to make sure it fits perfectly with the tooth. In some cases, some minor adjustments might be required to ensure it fits perfectly. Once your dentist determines that it fits well, he or she will cement it permanently to your tooth.
A dental crown that fits and cements properly will last many years. Under a proper care, it is not unusual for a crown to last more than 5 or 10 years.
Cost of Dental Crown
How much does a crown cost in Vietnam?
It could be made of many different types of material: metal (precious, semi-precious and non-precious), porcelain fused to metal (nikel, titanium, Cobalt-chrome)
There are three types of materials commonly used:
- Metal (precious, semi-precious and non-precious): Metal crown was very popular decades ago when ceramic technology is still in infant stage. Metal crown is extremely durable, however their aesthetics is very low. Due to advancement of ceramic technology, nobody wants metal crowns anymore.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM): PFM crown is made from both metal (inside) and porcelain (outside). PFM crowns inherit the advantages from both types of material: durability of metal and aesthetics of porcelain. That's why, PFM crowns are still very common today, especially for molars. However, they do not meet today’s esthetic standards for the front teeth.
- All-ceramic, Zirconia: breakthrough of dental ceramic technology has set a new standards for dental crown. Functionally, they combine excellent biocompatibility and can stand huge chewing force. Aesthetically, they look exactly like natural teeth (or even better most of the time).
Serenity International Dental Clinic does not provide metal crown as we believe everybody deserves a perfect smile which metal crown could never offer. We only provides the following crowns:
|Porcleain fused to CrCo crown||200|
|Porcleain fused to titanium crown (CAD/CAM)||350|
|Zirconia crown (CAD/CAM)||300|
|Emax CAD crown (CAD/CAM)||350|
|All-porcelain crown Emax CAD (CAD/CAM)||400|